Friday, November 18, 2011

You'll find him when you aren't looking. You have lots of time...

Have you heard that BS before?  Oh, you KNOW I have.  I've mentioned before that I'm from the midwest and being single at my age in midwest standards is not exactly kosher.  I know multiple people that I went to High School with who are on their second marriage.  Not that I have ANY problem with that, but dang, I haven't found a first husband let a alone a second! 

This all reminds me of some things my mother used to always say to me. 

First, during college I had a lack luster social life.  Not through any fault of my own.  My small college was heavily weighted with females (most going for their MRS degree).  After a rough relationship in high school, I wasn't really obsessed with looking for a man - in fact it wasn't as important as school to me.  That's what I was there for, right?  I've always been a pretty focused individual.  But the fact that I was single always crossed my mind.  My mom would OFTEN tell me that my cousin T didn't meet his wife until they were late in college.  I cannot tell you how many times she told me that over my college career - to give me hope. 

Moving on to post college...

My mom again, trying to give me advice, always reminded me about my cousin C and how he's still single, over 30 and how I will for sure beat him to the alter because he never wants to get married.  Umm, three years ago, C got married... now has 3 kids.

Well, shit.

My mom has given up.  There are no more cousins to compare me to.  Everyone is married and she can't justify my single-ness anymore.  I just say, thank god my younger brother (by four years) hasn't gotten married yet.  Then I'd feel really bad.

Do I really care about still being single?  Yes and no.  Yes, it would be great for someone to share my life with (and help with the damn mortgage payment and all the rest of the bills!)  No, I'm not sure if I could live with someone after living on my own for nearly 10 years.  Besides, who wants to live in my complete and utter mess? 

But my poor Mom, she can't justify to her sisters anymore why the only girl in the family is still single.  Sometimes I think they all just resort to thinking I might be a lesbian as justification - umm, I'm not.  But that might be easier for them to justify than a SINGLE heterosexual girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment