Saturday, November 29, 2014

URGENTLY MISSING: The proper use of the English language and proper grammar

First off, as a disclaimer... I'm a real fan of writing and utilizing proper grammar.  I'm not a complete grammar nazi, but I do believe that the English language should be used properly and that basic grammar rules should be followed, regardless of what and where you are trying to get across. 

This brings me to the many messages I get from various online dating websites and apps.  As I believe dating is a numbers game (that so far I'm not winning at...), I am active on multiple websites and apps.  But across the board, I am shocked at the lack of basic usage of grammar and English language rules.  While I try to be forgiving as there are many reasons that a person may not write a perfectly crafted sentence - there comes a point where it's just so bad you cannot forgive. 

Nothing makes you look more uneducated than a short message that has to be read multiple times just
to understand what is the basic idea the person is trying to get across.  And don't even get me started on the use of acronyms and texting shorthand.  I understand why texting shorthand was developed (back in the day, many of us has the innovative and popular Motorola Razr that lacked the QWERTY keyboard that we all love these days), I do not understand why someone cannot take that extra 60 seconds of effort to spell out what they are trying to say.  Just a couple of minutes ago I got a message on okcupid that said, "Hi beautiful hru :)"  I actually had to think about it.... apparently "hru" means, "How are you?"  That's a new one for me.  

This all brings me to the real reason I'm taking time out tonight to write this blog posting.  Men, consider this a huge tip.  I can't be the only one, but  nothing turns me off like a poorly written message.  ESPECIALLY, when this message is the initial contact.  Remember that this message/email/text is serving as a first impression to someone you are obviously attracted to and would like to at least strike up a conversation.  Take a couple of minutes to really think about what you want to say and say it with these crazy things called sentences. 

I'm not going to penalize you if you don't have perfect grammar or misspell a word here and there.  I am going to penalize you if you casually forget spaces between your words (like,this,I'veactually...gotten an email,like this-in-thelast.few days).  I'm not going to write you back if you use more texting shorthand than actual "real" words.  And god forbid.... if I have to read over your message multiple times just to figure out what you are trying to say, I'm not going to writing you back right away, if at all.

Stepping off my soapbox now.  This is probably one of the reasons I'm still single - but I'm owning it :)  


1 comment:

  1. If you would like an alternative to randomly approaching girls and trying to find out the right thing to say...

    If you'd rather have women pick YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in crowded pubs and restaurants...

    Then I urge you to view this eye-opening video to find out a strange secret that can literally get you your own harem of hot women:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM!!!

    ReplyDelete