Friday, September 2, 2011

Ahh... so you are a lesbian?

So last week was my birthday, and I turned the dreaded 31.  I'm not sure about you, but for me this means I'm ** gasp ** over 31.  You know, at 30 I can justify that I'm still just "30," but at 31 I'm technically over 30.  Wow. 

So anyway, a family member who shall remain nameless, called me to wish me Happy Birthday.  How sweet!  But mid conversation I get THAT question. You know, the one where you get asked if there is someone special in my life.  Well, there isn't. And the lovely family member then asks me very seriously - "Are you a lesbian"  Yes, because being 31 and single automatically means you don't like guys - duh!  After trying to convince said family member that it is totally legit to be 31 and single - especially in a large metro area - he still doesn't believe me.  Yup, I'm obviously a lesbian.  I really wanted to tell him about how I'm definately NOT a lesbian - but I didn't think that was appropriate.  Now, don't get me wrong, I think lesbians are GREAT, I just don't really like girls in that way. 

Now, to give you a bit of background, I'm from Michigan - and from a very small town.  Hell, some of the people I know from highschool are on marriage #2.  It's a bit odd for someone to be not only single over 30, but without kids too!  Most of the girls I went to college with, got their MRS degree.  (granted, I must say that a lot of them are still working - wait, not that I have any disrespect for stay at home moms - hell, it's awesome they can afford it - in DC that would be difficult!)

Makes me think, at my age my mother had 2 kids (and dad was "fixed").  I was going into kindergarten and my brother had just turned 1.  They had the house, the kids, and the fence (granted, it was brown and around the pool - but that counts, right?). 

So I must question - am I "behind"?  Is is wrong to be over 30 and still single?  I don't believe so... but one still questions their choices in life. 

I must conclude that I'm (1) DEFINATELY not a lesbian - I like men just too much, (2) that I'd much rather be single than working on my second husband (and divorce!) and (3) ... well, I can't think of a #3 right now.  You might have to help me. 

1 comment:

  1. You can make $20 for a 20 minute survey!

    Guess what? This is exactly what big companies are paying me for. They need to know what their customer needs and wants. So these companies pay $1,000,000's of dollars each month to the average person. In return, the average person, like me, answers some questions and gives them their opinion.

    ReplyDelete