Thursday, May 27, 2010

Screen names...

Screen names are very important.  They tell a lot about a person - good and bad.  Maybe I'm the only one who really pays attention to them, but I really doubt it.  We use screen names EVERYWHERE, on our emails, every site we log into, and even dating sites.  As usual, I will concentrate on dating sites as this is what this blog is actually about.  If you didn't know that already - you obviously haven't been reading closely enough! 

As you already probably know, I belong to many dating sites.  As my feeling goes, if you can meet the love of your life in a bar completely shitfaced, you can meet someone online.  But online  you rarely "meet" people based on their real name.  Instead you are greeted with an alias, some made up name that the guy decided on. 

Now, these screen names can be something that mean something to the guy in question.  I once dated a guy that called himself Salzmanfan (not the actual screen name to protect the not so innocent!).  He also referenced he was a fan of a music arranger named Salzman in his profile.  When I questioned him about his screen name he got very sensitive and asked me if I had read his profile.  Woah!  Would you have connected the two?  I didn't.  Don't be so sensitive!  Just answer the question, and be happy someone was interested!!!

On the opposite end are the screen names that so many of us have seen, ones that have phrases such as "69" "Ramrod" "Hung"   You know the type, the ones that make you groan (with disgust).  These are the types of guys who you know instantly want one thing: sex.  They don't care about the "getting to know" you phase.  They are also the guys who ask up front if they can "get to know you" by sticking it in you.  (Yes, this has actually happened to me!)  FYI, I recommend staying away from anyone whose screen name includes these phrases, that is unless you are just looking for sex, then by all means - look for these guys.  What's even worse is the guys with profiles that are looking for long term relationships and still have screen names with these types of phrases.  The most common excuse I hear is that they made up the screen name when they were much younger (same goes for guys with emails with these phrases).  One word of advice, change it.. or get a new email address = they are free!

Another screen name that I find really annoying, and I say that only because it's really confusing for me is those that include a proper name that isn't yours!  For instance, your name is Jeff, but the screen name is Adam_Dunn.  I've seen this a lot, people like to take screen names that are from character names or something else, but they are names of something (I have no idea what) but they aren't their own name.  It pisses me off because I start thinking that's their name and I get totally confused.  Maybe it's just me.  But I really don't need to be calling someone by their screen name Adam when their real name is Jeff.  So if you want to use a proper name in your screen name, use your own name!

Do you have any other particularly bad screen names, or stories you'd like to share?

1 comment:

  1. If you would like an alternative to randomly flirting with girls and trying to find out the right thing to say...

    If you would prefer to have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in crowded bars and restaurants...

    Then I encourage you to view this short video to find out a strong little secret that can literally get you your very own harem of attractive women just 24 hours from now:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM...

    ReplyDelete