Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Spelling in an online profile

I can't spell.  I admit it.  I grew up in the land of technology where one never really needed to learn how to spell.  That is with the exception of that silly spelling tests in grade school.  In my younger years I had an electronic spell checker dictionary, which I used very liberally.  Anytime I needed to spell a word, or look up a definition that sucker was well used! 

Technology caught up with me, and I started using the computer.  These is this AMAZING tool called spell check.  I use that sucker for everything.  Even if I have to copy and paste text into word and spell check it and copy and paste it back I will. 

All of this into, and it brings to me to what I'm here to talk about.  Spelling in an online profile, or spelling in an email.  Hell, spelling in any type of communication between a man and a woman!  Like I said before, I'm not a good speller.  I'm sure I've made many misspellings in this very post already (even using spell check!), but spelling and grammar is very important to some extent in online communications. 

It might be a double standard, but I cannot count how many times I've skipped over a profile or deleted someone's email if they had a high number of words misspelled!  When words are the only way you communicate with a person if there are words misspelled it just makes you look like you lack intelligence.  And grammar mistakes are even worse!  I'm not talking about proper grammar sentence - because obviously this blog isn't written in proper sentences - but big mistakes like "I aint gone none" or "She be gone." Yes, those grammar mistakes that are like scrapes on a chalkboard.  I just can't handle them.  I just can't! 

So, what do I say?  Spell check, and just make sure the grammar makes sense.  That's my PSA for the day.  And that goes for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment