Friday, April 13, 2012

My favorite boy band member is.... gay?!?

I'm a child of the 80's, as such I grew up in the era of the big boy bands.  Think New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys, and 'NSync.  I have to say that I was much more of a fan of the New Kids and 'NSync.  And much like every other tween and teenage girl I had my favorite boy bander. 

At the onset of elementary school I was seriously into the New Kids.  Of course, so was every other little girl at our school.  In fact, my very first concert was Tiffani and the New Kids at the Ionia Free Fair (think 4-H or County Fair - not exactly a huge venue!).  And like many of the other girls we supported our favorite boy bander with buttons.  And these weren't just any buttons, they were the BIG buttons that were the size of dinner plates.  Girls wore these buttons as a badge of honor and I'm sure mothers everywhere HATED them because they had to just put massive holes in our shirts.

Most girls loved the young, cute, lead "singer" of the groups.  Think Justin Timberlake or Joey McIntyre.  Some of the more bad ass (as bad ass as you can be in elementary school and middle school)  girls liked the bad boys in the group (think Donnie or Joey Fatone).  But, I wasn't either of them.  me, I liked the quiet one, the guy that even in this very popular group seemed to be the underdog.  Me, I loved the Lance Bass and the Jonathan McKnight type.
Fast forward to adult-hood, both these and mine.  We began to hear more and more about these boy banders growing up.  First, Lance Bass comes out of the closet.  Great, good for him.  I'm extremely supportive of people accepting who they truly are.  Next, Jonathan McKnight comes out.  Good for him, I hope he finds the love of his life and is happy forever.

But, shit... what does that say about me?  I was really into TWO boy bands, and I'm two for two on picking the ONE gay boy to worship. And god forbid I go into my love of the one and only Ricky Martin.  again gay.

Apparently I not only like to go for the celebrity crushes that are unlikely to happen, I go for the ones that will NEVER happen because these boys don't even like my girlie parts.  

I think I need to start getting into hard rock or something, maybe rap... where I can fall in love with those who aren't gay.  Then again, you never know about those rockers - they do like makeup and skin tight pants... and don't even get me going on the how "down low" thing.

Maybe I should just stick to reality and stay away from my celebrity crushes, apparently my gaydar is just very off.

** And I will note, in NO WAY do I not support homosexuality, I'm just more alarmed at myself for always falling for the gay ones **

No comments:

Post a Comment