Thursday, July 8, 2010

Blind Dates of the Digital Age!

When I think of blind dates, I think of something really old school.  Like two meddling mothers who think their children would make the perfect match and set them up on some date that probably would never work. 

But this is the digital age, and times have changed!  Now you can have your blind dates set up by a COMPUTER.  Just think of the possibilities.  There is a new website called Crazy Blind Date  which is run by OKCupid (I have mentioned them before in this blog).  (Unfortunately, right now Crazy Blind Date is down for maintainence) 

Just the other day I heard about Crazy Blind Date on the local radio station.  While I can't directly access their site right now, I was able to find details about them on other websites.  Currently Crazy Blind Date "serves" the Boston, San Francisco, Austin, New York City, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles areas. Once you sign up for the service you give basic details about yourself and what you are looking for in a date.  You upload a picture, but when you are matched, you only see the person's very basic profile, not including the picture.  Instead they show you a very pixilated picture.  You will see only enough information to have a few converstaion starters.  You also include what days, times and neighborhood locations you are available for a date (of at least 20 minutes in length).  Crazy Blind Date then matches you up with a person with similar qualities.  They set up some type of proxy texting service so your number is never revealed to the other person, but you can communicate on the basic details such as what you are wearing and where they can meet you exactly at the location.   After the date, both parties have to fill out a questionaire about how the date went, including if the date showed up, etc. 

So?  Do I think Crazy Blind Date is Crazy Good or Crazy Bad?  Jury is definately still out.  But I do like the idea, it has possibilities.  In a world where people make snap judgements based on a picture or a single line in someone's profile the idea of having to give someone 20 minutes is very interesting.  Granted, the other person could very well be a total loser, or worse an ax murder.  BUT you are meeting in a public place, and it's only 20 minutes minimum. I also like the idea of not having to impress someone with a picture.  Personally, I take the worst pictures - I angle my head down just a little bit and I have double chins on my double chin.  I don't know how they multiple, but they do - I blame the flash. 

We'll see how I feel when Crazy Blind Date comes back up from whatever maintaince they are doing.  i'm not sure I could stand the rejection. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment