Monday, July 5, 2010

Phrases never to say to a single person!

So, I saw this article (19 Things You Should Never Say to a Single Person ) on the Internet weeks ago, and it really rung true.Now, I mean no disrespect to the original author - but dang it ... this is MY little place in the web.

I've been single a long time, hell, a VERY long time.  I've heard it all.  So let me give my opinion on these phrases...

1. It happens when you're not looking. 
This is a favorite phrase of everyone who is "paired up."  They like to use it to remind you that you are not only single, but you can't even find someone to date.  I cannot count how many freaking times people have said this to me (and that is in the last week - let alone lifetime).  So, tell me.... should we all never look for a mate, another person?  Hate to tell you, but then no one will ever get hooked up and we will all be fucked! 


2. There are plenty of fish in the sea.
Ahh, the favorite one for the post-break up.  You know what, yes there are plenty of "fish in the sea."  Lets think about it.  Take out the marrieds, the psychos, the felons (unless you are into that thing).  OK.  the fish are significantly reduced, and that's only eliminating the "fish" that are really smelly/bad!  If you start taking out the ones that you just don't like- hell you only have a handful!  No, I really don't want to hear there are plenty of fish in the sea.  Damn it, it sure doesn't seem that way.  It's damn hard to meet just one person that fits with your personality, that you even want to spend a time with.  Let alone have a relationship with, so next time someone suggests anything to do with fish other than eating it or catching it tell them to stick it up their ass!

3. So, why are you single?
Umm, really?  If a person has the balls to ask you this - they deserve to be cut in the face (that's a term my brother who HATES this blog) likes to use.  If you knew why you were single then damn it, then you probably wouldn't be single. 

4. You're too picky.
And the 50% of relationships ending in divorce weren't picky enough, thank you very much!  Yes, I'm nearly 30 and still single.  And maybe it's not my own fault - but damn it I'm picky because I don't want to be in sucky relationship.

5. You'll find the right person for you.
Yes, I'd like to think so.  And thank you very much for reminding me that I don't have that person, yet.

6. When the time is right, you will meet someone.
This is the ULTIMATE worst phrase EVER.  I cannot tell you how much I hate when people tell me that I will find the man "of my dreams" when the time is right.  My mom used to tell me (when I was in college) that my cousin didn't find his perfect woman until "later" - later was actually Senior year of college.  I still point out to her, that they were 25 or something when they got married!  I've thought many "times were right" in my life, and still haven't met anyone.  This phrase is baloney.  So please, stop using it.  Bury it!

7. It will happen when you least expect it.
Again, really?  Do you really have to use this?  People only say this AFTER they've been in a relationship and look back.  Yes, of course in hindsight they didn't "expect" it to happen. 
8. It just wasn't meant to be.
And yes.  It just wasn't meant to be.  God obviously didn't want it that way.  Bullshit.  It just didn't work.  Say it as it is.  Enough said!

No comments:

Post a Comment