Thursday, January 6, 2011

The 3 Month Rule

Ugh, another rule.  I am not a huge fan of dating rules, in fact I'm often one to break them completely - and you see how well that's worked for me....

So, when I saw The Frisky's article by Ami Angelowicz on a new rule it caught my attention, mostly negative attention - but it's attention none the less.  And really - what else am I going to talk about with you.  God knows I can't have original thought all the time, these original thoughts are far and few between these days, and I have to save them for school and work - sorry guys, you just get the left over shit and you are going to have to live with it,  But lets be serious, you are getting this shit for free, so you can't be too demanding. 

The Frisky calls it, "The Three Month Rule" and advises everyone that you must wait at least three months before getting excited about the long term possibilities of a new person (well, shit-damn-fuck - I really fail at this one.  Maybe I'm a wee bit too serious, I think about the long term possibilities when I first meet someone, maybe that's why I tend to scare guys away.... maybe, just maybe.... hummm....)

Not that I've really been in a relationship that's lasted more than a couple of months in awhile (yeah, so?  You got a problem with that??!?!?), but the author, Ami is right The first three months of knowing someone is a time of illusions. Instead of seeing the person objectively, you see them for who you want them to be. Your object of desire is laden with fantasies and projections.  It often takes a couple of months to strip away the illusions of who you think they are and see the person for who they really are. 

Ami also points out that in these first three months you can also find out if the person is consistant and stable.  You know... all that shit that will drive you crazy...  Do they call when they say they're going to? Do they cancel dates? Do they even have time for dates? Do they want to hang out once a week or six times a week and does that mesh with what you want? How do they treat you after a month? Any major disagreements on fundamental things? How do they behave in different situations?


So, at the end of the three months you are allowed to sit back and then decide if he's long term or husband material (if he's lasted that long) - is it any wonder I'm not married or have been in a long term relationship?  Now i Have to ask myself... Is it me who is too picky or am I just that annoying? ;)

1 comment:

  1. If you'd like an alternative to randomly dating girls and trying to find out the right thing to do...

    If you would prefer to have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in crowded bars and night clubs...

    Then I encourage you to watch this eye-opening video to unveil a weird little secret that has the power to get you your personal harem of beautiful women:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM!!!

    ReplyDelete