Friday, January 14, 2011

Women Fashion Fad do's and don't if you want to impress a man

Our friends (well, not sure they are anyone's friends.. as I'm not sure these days if online dating really works at all!)... So our friends at Match.com released an article about what guys think of women's fashion trends.  Now, I'm not really a follower of fashion trends myself, I tend to go for the classic look - probably because I'm a cheap ass and I can't afford to change clothes/accessories/shoes/etc every season - that would just get too expensive.  Besides, I don't want to look like a floosey with some of the shit that is going on - and lets be serious - by the time you hit 30 if you are following some of these so called trends you probably should be taken out behind a shed and shot.  But lets look at current trends (according to match.com) and their male "experts" reaction to them.

Trend #1: Designer Sweats/Sweats with words on them
 Men: -- “This look always reminds me of self-absorbed teenage girls that hang out at the mall. Did you just come from Claire’s or something?”– Steve, 31, writer, Missouri

--“The words try to make sweats something that they’re not. Sweats should be basic, comfortable, and laid-back. That’s what makes them sexy.” – Andrew, 25, grad student, Ohio

-- “With words like ‘juicy’ and ‘pink’ on them, it makes me wonder about what message these girls are really trying to send. Not hot.”– Joey, 29, analyst, Vermont

Me:  Like I expected, why spend hundreds on "designer" sweatpants when you can get comfy ones at Target.  Not saying you have to get the Hanes ones recently (although I did get some nice ones for $3.50, yes 3 DOLLARS and FIFTY cents - cheaper than my latte!).  But a really nice pair of sweats, and I'm talking REALLY nice are way under $20.  And who needs a word on their ass?  It's attracting the wrong kind of attention!  And guess what, this time it's not just my opinion - but at least 3 random guys!

Trend #2: T-shirts with witty slogans or sayings Men: -- “Ninety-five percent of the girls who wear t-shirts that say something like ‘Out Of Your League’ really aren’t, actually. And shirts like these only serve to point that out. As for the other five percent, why rub it in?”– Steve

-- “I love a woman in a t-shirt. But I can’t get behind the off-the-shelf sort of generic slogan, message, or design. Now, a legit, vintage concert or band t-shirt, that’s a different story.”– Andrew

-- “These could be fun. But, only if the messages read something like ‘LARP is a Battlefield’ or ‘I’ve Seen Bloodsport.’ The traditional messages, like ‘Team Jacob’ and ‘Drama Queen’ make me wonder when your parents are coming to pick you up.”– Joey


Me:  Not sure exactly why we are calling this a "trend"...  And jury is still out for me (like ths guys)... And sometimes I wonder if I think more like a guy than a girl, and that scares me a little!  Anyway, I like stupid slogan t-shirts I think they are funny in the right setting (see http://www.davidandgoliathtees.com/)... but like Mr. Steve said above, don't be stupid and wear something that offends the men you are trying to attract.  And wear them in moderation, they aren't really all that "grown up" - especially if you are 30 plus like me (ugh, yeah, I know - getting older sucks!)

Trend #3: LeggingsMen: -- “If you’ve got nice legs, this look can be attractive with a short dress and heels. It says, ‘I know it’s cold out, but I still want to give you guys something to look at.’ That’s just being considerate.”– Steve

-- “I like being able to check out the shape of her legs while still having to use my imagination to visualize what they’d really look like."– Andrew

--“Leggings make me feel like she’s trying too hard. Or like she’s been warped through time from the 80s. Once and for all, Pat Benatar was not that sexy.”– Joey

Me:  Two of the three boys say they like leggings, but to check out a shapely girls legs.  Approach leggings with CAUTION.  I would say, don't at all - you are apt to be judged and judged greatly.  They aren't attractive, and to mistakes to me made are too great,...

Trend #4: Ugg BootsMen: -- “Wearing these makes you look like you were stuffed into a time capsule in 2003 and just recently woke up. Don’t do it.”– Steve

“Unless it’s -10 degrees Fahrenheit out, I can’t understand why any woman would ever put these on. And, if she’s wearing them with a skirt, I probably won’t talk to her. Ever.”– Andrew

“Short for ‘ugg-ly,’ right? Leave these to the Vikings, ladies. They wore them better.”– Joey

Me:  Girls, verdict is in.  Uggs are out!  Now... I'm not one to really judge because I live in my crocs (every color, every style - don't judge - they are SUPER comfortable and super practical for dog park runs and such).  But like Crocs, Uggs have a purpose, and somewhere in the trend that purpose was lost and they became popular for strange things and acceptable for everyday use (even in the middle of summer - which I don't get because they look SUPER hot!).  So, if you want to use them for their purpose, knock yourself out, I fully support that!  But for everyday wear, yeah, I'll judge you too, and I'm not so nice.

Trend #5: Giant Sunglasses

Men: -- “This is the female equivalent of a hipster beard — fun to wear, yet obnoxious. But, if you make a joke about how your delicate retinas need 100% UV protection on a daily basis, I’d be cool with them.”– Steve

“I immediately assume that a woman is not attractive if she covers up half of her face with these things.” – Andrew

“These are absolutely OK — if you’re 87 and playing shuffleboard. Otherwise, they’re just covering up prime real estate. No one is gonna bid if they can’t see the property.”– Joey

Me:  Humm, I can't say much, as I look at my GIANT sunglasses sitting right in front of me.  My delicate retinas need 100% UV protection on a daily basis - right Steve?  Honestly, I just like them because they are fun and different, but I don't hide behind them.  And girls, the way to avoid the hiding behind them is to take them off when you are talking to someone!  The key to a person when you are talking to someone is always eye contact... 






1 comment:

  1. If you would like an alternative to casually approaching girls and trying to figure out the right thing to do...

    If you'd rather have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in crowded pubs and night clubs...

    Then I urge you to watch this eye-opening video to learn a strong little secret that can literally get you your very own harem of hot women:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM...

    ReplyDelete