Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The lost art of the English Language

Anyone who has read this blog knows I don't always write in full sentences or even full thoughts.  I fully admit I'm not a English scholar (Although I did take a year of grammar in college just for fun!), but I really do have a problem with the current misuse of English.  With that I mean the shorthand that everyone uses as a result of the advent of text messaging. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand the limits of text messaging and understand when you need to cut down on some letters and words to fit the character limit.  But texting is one thing... everyone else is something different!  This shorthand has filtered into everyday life.  EVERYWHERE.  It really bothers me when I get an email that I have to decipher words that are shortened and acronyms that make no sense.  I already have to live in a work word full of too many damn acronyms.  But these emails are often coming to my work account and these are actually work emails!  Seriously, kids (and they usually are the young kids that have grown up in the world of text messages and IM's) learn how to write in full sentences! 

And it's not just text messages.  When did all these weird, strange phrases come into existence?  For instance, "That's what she said."  As the "phrase of the day" men, and even some women use it as a come back to anything.  It's the universal zinger meant to put you in your place.  Let me tell you - it does nothing by annoy me.  let me tell you - by using that phrase you are neither witty or cleaver.  In fact you are just showing me that you are a follower who has nothing interesting to say.  And honestly, it annoys the fuck out of me.  Even more annoying is when you shorten it to TWSS.  Yes, the acronym.  Like you didn't have the actual energy to type it out or even say it that you had to just use the initials - really?  Work on something new - or move on to someone new, because I'm not going to put up with it anymore.

My problem is usually that most men that use the abomination of the English language know better.  They are educated men with higher education - often advanced degrees from highly accredited colleges and universities.  What is it that forces them to use this bastardized English?  Pure laziness.  It doesn't give me a good impression of what they will be in other areas of their life.

I don't care about small instances of shortcuts with English - I use them too.  Lots of dashes, short choppy sentences that aren't really full sentences.  But the real question is if you can actually interchange these small errors with the "correct" English.  If you cannot at all, then you better move on, because you are just going to drive me batty, and that's not pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment