Saturday, June 26, 2010

Responses to Personals ads and Postings.

Here is a Public Service Announcement (PSA) to all those who respond to any personals ads or CL Postings. 

Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT send a generic response if you ever want the person to ever return your email/message/etc. 

You ask, what is a generic response.  For instance, say I posted a simple post on Craig's List right now for someone to just chat this evening, and the first response was from a guy who told me that my ad was very interesting and caught his interest. And you can just tell it's a copy and paste job - he obviously has the canned response on file for any "ad" he finds even responsibly interesting and sends it off in hope that some woman will bite.

Often I will call them out on it.  Tell them that their canned email was retarded and isn't going to get them anywhere.  But not tonight, I have no energy for laziness.

So what's my advice for sending a message or responding to a posting.  Pick up on something small.  If someones personals ad has an interesting little tidbit of information that strikes you, send them something a comment on that.  Now, I would never spend a lot of time writing a long drawn out response.  While I give this advice, if the other person doesn't find your profile interesting (on a dating website) they aren't going to write back.  Now if you are working something like Craig's List and you write a witty comment based on their post, it always helps! 

So, go with the witty comment based on what they said, but don't go into too much detail (save that for when you actually have them hooked in - and can't lose them based on something so little).  Don't use the same canned response - that's definitely not gonna get you anywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment