Thursday, June 17, 2010

Cougar... at 29? REALLY?

I have to admit in the last couple of months I've stepped up my dating game a bit.  And in that I only mean that I've been more active on the online dating sites.  I don't want too get too crazy here.  And one thing I've noticed in particular is there is a onslaught of young men (and young I mean age 21-27) responding to my posts/ads (whatever the hell you call them, it all sounds weird!) 

In fact, I have to tell you... it seems that there is a huge number of 27 year old males on online dating sites.  I'd love to do an analysis of how many there are compared to the other ages.  But that's just my dorky side talking!  Maybe at 27 there is this flip switch in a man's brain that changes, all of a sudden it goes from - must just screw as many girls as possible (can meet them anywhere) to lets find a girl who actually matters.  I don't know, but I'm telling you, 27 year olds dominate the pages of online personals.

Back the the reason for this post.  I keep getting responses from guys younger than me.  Now I have NO problem dating a man younger than me as long as he lives up to what I want.  He's got to be responsible and have his shit together (often an issue with younger guys) - so I'm a bit more cautious when it comes to the younger men. 

But, I have to say... more than once after I've mentioned my "fears" these younger guys have come back in response and said... but I like older women, I like to date COUGARS.  WHAT?  cougars?  At 29, nearly 30, I'm a cougar?  Umm really?  That hurts.  Is this the new trend?  These "kids"  (yes, I was bound to use that term) see Ashton and Demi.  Hell, they probably don't even know the term "Mrs. Robinson" or "May-December" Romance.  But they call ME a cougar.  Yikes.

I can't decide if I should be offended that a guy is calling me that old that I should be a cougar, or a bit flattered that he thinks I'm hot "for an old chick".  Damn, but since when did 29 = old?  This is all just a little bit of a scary proposition. 

Pile on top of this all, that even though my birth certificate says I'm 29 - in person I look MUCH younger.  I always get carded, and most days I would be lucky to get 18.  If I were to hang out with that much younger of a man, I would guess that those around us would think that we were the same age or even he was older.  So there, Mr. Cougar Hunter - you lose :)

4 comments:

  1. 2 years does not a May-December romance make! How funny that someone who is that close in age would think it was like a cougar relationship at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's why I think it's strange these guys are calling me a "cougar"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you'd like an alternative to casually dating girls and trying to figure out the right thing to say...

    If you'd prefer to have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in crowded pubs and nightclubs...

    Then I urge you to view this eye-opening video to find out a strong secret that has the potential to get you your very own harem of sexy women:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM!!!

    ReplyDelete