Monday, June 7, 2010

The Best First Dates?

When you are single you have all the time in the world to think about dating.  Much like when you are dieting you have all the time in the world to think about food and eating.  It's all about wanting what you cannot have.  So, think I do.  When I'm not dating I'm constantly thinking about the good (and bad) dates!  Here's a list of ones I've been thinking about.

1. Coffee/Drink Date
The coffee/drink date is my go to first date.  Especially for those first "in person" meetings when you meet an online guy for the first time. I know that's a lot of words in one sentence, and if you can say it better, please do!  But I have to say, I prefer the coffee date because there is little time and money invested - on both sides, so if there is no chemistry you both can escape relatively easily and painlessly - sadly, this is EXTREMELY important.  I cannot tell you how many times I have spent hours chatting and emailing with someone online and then you met in person and damn it's like they are a WHOLE different person - you literally cannot suck the coffee or drink down fast enough.  But, if you actually like the person and you want to keep talking past the bottom of your drink, you can easily extend the date, or schedule another one.  In short, coffee is the best first date, period.  Don't do anything else.  Take this from a girl who has gone on way too many first dates. 

2.  The Casual Lunch Date
Much like the coffee date, but maybe a step up in seriousness - the causal lunch date has additional time and expense commitment involved.  With those additional commitment, you better know that the person is worth it.  With that, the lunch date works best as a follow on to a coffee date for an online person or a "feeler" date for a casual acquaintance.  Again, the lunch date doesn't have to be a huge time commitment and you can schedule it on a date where you have stuff to do in the afternoon - again an escape.  But you can always extend. 

3.  The Dinner Date
Dinner, so cliche.  As you can see, I'm not a huge fan of it as the go to date.  I think dinner should be always avoided on a first date!  It's just way too much pressure.  Also, there is too much money and time invested for both parties.  You have to worry about who pays, what kind of place to go to - all that bullshit.  Dinner is an excellent date for later in the relationship, definitely not as the first date. 

4. The Movie
Again, not a huge fan.  How do you get to know someone at the movies?  And by the way, when you go to movies, NO TALKING IS ALLOWED!  And yes, lets group two of my least favorite dates together and call that a first date - the dinner and a movie?  Umm really?  That's giving me a life sentence, usually with a guy I don't like.  Granted, at least the movie gives me a chance to not have to talk to him!  Just hope to God he doesn't try to hold my hand or anything, otherwise I'd have to imagine he was someone else! 

5.  The Walk or Park Date
I have to say, like the coffee/drink date, this is one of my favorite first dates.  When you take a walk or go to a park there are surroundings to talk about, and something active to do.  Activities always equals something to talk about - besides each other!  Besides, personally - a walk allows me to bring the dogs and the dogs allow me a couple of things, first, to see if the guy can handle the dogs, how he reacts to them, and also gives us something to chat about!

6. The Home Visit
Umm, since this blog is all about honesty - sadly, I must admit that I have done the home visit way too often.  My home, not his.  I have protectors in my dogs :)  At least that's what I like to think.  Anyway, the home visit is a bad idea in MANY ways.  One there is NO escape, two... it's way too easy to get in trouble and fall into bed, and three, it's not safe.  God knows I've been lucky I haven't gotten attacked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment