Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My dog's obsession with men.

I have two dogs - a XL and a M.  I have raised both since they were puppies.  Since I got them both I have been their main caretaker - I feed them, take them for their walks, and give them their many treats.  They love me, that is . . . until there is a man around.  Both of my dogs have a man obsession. 

I've heard horror stories of dogs raised in one gender households are either scared of cautious of the other gender.  I always worried that the M dog (my first) would dislike or be cautious of men (and kids) because he wasn't around them.  Imagine my surprise when we see men and suddenly I'm invisible. 

Then I went out and got the XL dog a little over a year ago from the roughest county around.  He was young - 4 months.  I half expected the worst, he could have been abused (hate to say it, but often at the hand of a man).  When I first took him to the dog park he was scared.  Not scared of men, though, cautious of everyone.  XL dog is a wimp.

Fast forward to current day and my XL dog is in LOVE with men.  We go to the dog park and he literally goes from man to man for pets.  This dog is about 130 lbs and growing (I told you he's XL) and will lean up against men and just look at them and wait for them to pet him.  He will go to women, but very rarely.  He will also take his nasty tennis ball and literally put it in the man's hand.  Now, this dog will NOT let go of a tennis ball and has jaws of steel (and teeth like a shark).  I DO NOT suggest taking tennis balls out of his mouth and tell the men so.  Of course, whenever I say that automatically the man in question goes for it - men are always out trying to prove a point - he'll be the one to get the tennis ball out.  Note, they don't get it out.  And XL dog continues to push the gooey dirty ball into his hand.  XL Dog LOVES it, the men eat it up. 

Now, XL dog and me have had this talk many times, but he's kind of dumb and I don't think he's caught on yet.  He hasn't quite figured out the left hand ring check.  XL dog needs to learn to only "play" with the single men.  And he needs to bring a young, cute one back to me.  Doesn't he know that he needs a "daddy?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment