Friday, October 15, 2010

Worst Cities for Dating

So, this week I wrote a blog about an article I saw about the best cities for singles.  So, here is one about the worst cities for dating.  I like to cover both sides if I can.  I'm an equal opportunity bitcher and hater.  And hey, I will give you credit if it's due - but that's not often - lets be serious!!

So, here we go... the worst cities for dating, according to Marie Claire magazine, and since they use short examples, I'll quote them and then give my two cents - because god knows I'm going to give that!

1. Austin, Texas. 

MYTH: It's all fun, no commitment in this town of artsy, partying Peter Pans.
BUSTED: Try another bar. More men (50 percent) than women (47 percent) have tied the knot in Austin.
OPINION: Umm, really?  Austin was #10 on the list for best cities for singles (and I think their #10 was the best...)  Sometimes I wonder where people come up with this shit.  So?  Which one is it?  Is Austin good for singles or not?  My impression of Austin (and yes I have been there - although it has been years) is that it is a young town of a lot of "free thinkers" and when I think of free thinkers I don't think of the marrying type - at least right away.  Austin is also the type of place that attracts people who are looking to be artsy fartsy (like Marie Claire said - it's like a real person this Marie!), and these hippy type like to be all free love and sex... right?

2. Boston, Mass

MYTH: Beantown boys get hitched before 30 — that is, if they're not too busy obsessing over their beloved sports teams.
BUSTED: About 39 percent of Boston men have never been married, and the average age a guy gets married is 30, one of the oldest in the country.
OPINION: And again, a repeat of the "best" list.  Interesting.  Although, living in DC I definitely see and meet people from all over - and those Boston boys are obsessed with their sports - now I'm not sure if that prevents them from getting married, but that's an interesting concept.  But 39% of the men have never been married - that's pretty damn high.  You might want to steer clear if you are looking to get hitched! 

3. Chicago, IL

MYTH: Guys travel in fratty packs that can't be infiltrated.
BUSTED: Chicago guys like their buds. But when they finally ask you out, they mean business — they marry at 29, families make up 66 percent of the population, and the divorce rate is well below the national average.
OPINION: Chicago is a midwestern city.  The guys there come from the neighboring farm communities - Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio - they grow them good up there on the farms!  Once they decide they are ready to marry they go for it, I've seen many friends from back home do it.  Although, I'm not sure about the divorce rate, I know some friends who are divorced already....

4. Los Angeles, CA

MYTH: L.A. men are all about "the business" and just want the perfect piece of arm candy to accompany them to the next premiere.
BUSTED: Fewer than 10 percent of L.A. residents work in the entertainment industry, and plenty would rather have a real girl than a Botox babe.
OPINION: I don't know anything about LA.  I don't care to know anything about LA.  It's too crazy out there.  If someone wants to move out to LaLa Land, have at it.  My assumption is that everyone out there is involved somehow in the entertainment industry or in a job related to it.  So the fact that fewer than 10% is involved makes me feel like a dumbass.  So my opinion is that I'm stupid when it comes to LA.  Sorry.

5. New York, NY

MYTH: With a million more unattached women than men, single gals are on a subway ride to Spinsterville.
BUSTED: Single women do outnumber men in the tristate area, but the gap is closer to 200,000. Maybe not the best odds, but not insurmountable.
OPINION: Another double.  So, it's easier to date in NYC than they say?  Or is it a worst city?  This list is confusing!  Are they saying that the list is the cities that are thought to be the worst, but maybe aren't?  Yeah, I'm confused.  Anyway, so there are 200,000 more single women than men in NYC?  Did we take into account the gay population?  That might really skew those results - RECOUNT! 

6. Seattle, WA

MYTH: The reticent techies would rather worship their iPhones than the cute girl at the bar.
BUSTED: Seattle is "the computer-assisted dating capital of the U.S." So quit moaning and download some dating apps.
OPINION: Double alert!  I would think that Seattle is a hotbed for dating.  Nerd are awesome to date, and there are a ton of them up there in Seattle right?  So, what's the problem?  So what if they hide behind their computer (so do I - and I've been told I'm not bad to look at!), some of the best (and richest) guys don't have the best social skills. 

7. San Francisco, CA

MYTH: With multiple online dating accounts, Bay Area boys are hunting for an elusive, algorithmically endorsed soul mate.
BUSTED: Yes, the city has one of the highest percentage of online daters in the country, but Bay Area men can commit — nearly half have walked down the aisle.
OPINION: So, San Fran can commit... to what? Alcatraz? 

So, I thought this list would have something new - let me tell you - I often pull these articles based on their title and then I actually write and blog as I read it - that way you can get my gut based reaction - it's more fun that way!  Now, this article wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be - nor was it anything important or earth shattering.  But enjoy my opinions for what they are. 

1 comment:

  1. If you would like an alternative to randomly picking up girls and trying to find out the right thing to do...

    If you'd rather have women pick YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in noisy bars and nightclubs...

    Then I encourage you to play this short video to find out a amazing little secret that might get you your very own harem of beautiful women just 24 hours from now:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM!!!

    ReplyDelete