Monday, October 18, 2010

Manscaping and Grooming, it's not just for Metrosexuals.

So, I've dropped a couple hundred on getting laser hair removal (yes, just getting my arm pits lasered cost $500 and that's was a good deal - but let me tell you it's 100% worth it.  Yes, you might have groaned for me providing too much information - but if this is the first time you've groaned, you obviously haven't read this blog enough.  Anyway, I wanted to start with the laser on something small, but now that I am highly impressed I would like to laser something bigger - say a bikini line...)

Anyway, with this, I've been thinking about the importance of taking care of one's appearance.  Not just for me as a woman - but for men as well.  And when I saw an article on askmen.com about Instant Grooming Turnoffs, I had to write my opinions. 

1. Body odor...  Ask Men says that women have a more sensitive sense of smell than men.  I don't know if that is the case, but I will tell you that I can smell some bad body odor from practically feet away.  If you, as a man have some of that bad B.O. don't expect me to stick around.  In fact, expect me to make up some excuse to take off and not stay the whole date.  Yeah, sorry.  I can't stand smells - my head reacts badly to them and I get headaches.  Besides, B.O. is the worse.  AskMen suggests Gillette's Odor Shield line - which has a body wash, long-lasting deodorant and a heavy-duty, clinical strength antiperspirant for men who break into a sweat easily.  I will tell you that i have no problem if you sweat, as long as you don't smell, and I don't have an issue if you have just worked out, etc.  But on a regular basis there is a major difference.  And note, if you have BO, don't try to cover it up by bathing in cologne, that just makes it worse!


2. Ear and nose hair.  AskMen says that ear or nose hair reminds women of their grandfathers which is an obvious turnoff.  Plus not dealing with ear and nose hair shows a lack of respect to your own personal grooming.  Now, personally... ear and nose hair isn't the top of my list, but you should also be aware of what is going on there.  I can forgive one hair - but multiples.. yeah, just keep walking.  There are lots of solutions - nose hair trimmers are readily accessible, and plucking is very easy (pain only lasts a second or two.)
3. Back hair.  AskMen says that back hair is a huge disappointment, and if the amount of hair you have on your back is comparable to the amount of hair you have on your chest you should take care of it.  I would agree, but I can't say it's a serious grooming issue unless you have a massive amount of back hair.  Maybe I just say that because I haven't encountered a boy with so much back hair that I was grossed out enough - although I do know a couple of older men who have enough back hair that I really wonder how their women even touch them.  I would recommend the laser to them - even if they had to take out a second mortgage on their home to afford it. 

4. Dandruff.  AskMen says that women are really turned off if they run their fingers through your hair and flakes fall out.  Humm.  As long as we aren't talking about SERIOUS flakes here I don't care.  But if it falls out like snow, you better worry about it.

5.  Yellow/bad teeth: AskMen says a mouth full a crooked, discolored teeth is a huge turnoff.  Yes.  Bad teeth is very bad.  Very bad.  Bad teeth makes me want to run away.  I understand a little bit of crooked - I had braces for 9 years and I still have a huge gap in front of my front teeth - my teeth just don't want to be together.  But yellow, gross bad teeth is bad. 


6.  Dirty nails: AskMen says that no woman wants to imagine a man's dirty nails on her.  Just wash your hands.  There is nothing wrong with getting a manicure - seriously... I know men that have complained about the idea of a manicure up and down a million times over - they got one one time for some reason. Now, they get this manicure and they understand the true reason behind it!

No comments:

Post a Comment