Monday, September 13, 2010

Everything except country . . .

You've heard it a million times.  What kind of music do you like?  Everything... well, except country, of course.

What's it that everyone has against country music?  Honestly, these days country music has been extremely watered down.  There is no more Hank Williams Jr, There is a tear in my beer, because I'm crying for you dear...  I will tell you, that whiny, oh woah is me country music can get a bit annoying.  One of my favorite country songs that makes fun of the whole genre is by Rascal Flatts and is called "Backwards" the chorus goes:
And he said you wanna know what you get

When you play a country song backwards
You get your house back
You get your dog back
You get your best friend Jack back
You get your truck back
You get your hair back
Ya get your first and second wives back
Your front porch swing
Your pretty little thing
Your bling bling bling and a diamond ring
Your get your farm and the barn and the boat and the Harley
First night in jail with Charlie
Sounds a little crazy, a little scattered and absurd
But that's what you get when you play a country song backwards
But when you listen (and give it a chance!) to "today's" country, it's barely discernible from pop music.  Whether that be good or bad, it's still fun music.  Most of the song's have a bit of a story, and are kind of fun.

Yes, I know I sound a little crazy - yesterday I was lamenting on the laurels of dirty dirty music. Now today I'm saying how much I love country music.  I never said I was a one sided person.  And no one else should be either.  But I'm dang sick of people saying that all music is great, except country. 

Give it a try.  You might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment